Updating My 9 Year Old Code

Warning, lots of geeky words in this article!

New links for the next few months at work have been published. I tidy up the spreadsheets and make them available to all drivers at the depot.
I then port the sheet to my custom sheet so I can use my Python program to convert csv to iCal for import into my calendar.


This time I decided to create a template for customised dated sheets for all, and to convert my program to a Windows executable. This is were the problems started.


I installed Python in Windows (easy). Then I tried to install PyQt4 (the UI framework) that my 9 year old code uses.
It’s deprecated.
No install candidate for any version of Python I can get for Windows.
So I try to use PyQt5 instead.

WHAT A FUCKING NIGHTMARE!

About 80% of the library calls have changed!(edited)
Most were simple, change from QtGui to QtWidgets.
One was dropped completely (softkey).
The last one was the file request. It used to return a single string, now it returns a list!
This means the variable is now the wrong type, but actually quite simple to fix, just use variable[0] instead of just variable. I did manage to get all that done and get the program running in native Python. Quite pleased with that.

Then converted the program.
It does work, but…
…because it’s unsigned, Microsoft Defender doesn’t like it, and you have to jump through hoops to get it to run!

Fucking Windows! XD
So much easier to just use Python directly, even in Windows!
I wanted to make it as simple as possible but as simple as possible still requires some decent computer aptitude! Ah well 😉

About Ponder

I'm a train driver from Cardiff, have been married a long time and have 4 wonderful kids... all grown up now! Warning: I tend to lose The Game a lot.
This entry was posted in General, Work. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.